Sunday, October 26, 2008

I just can't stop ...


Despite the fact that it has rained for 40 days and 40 nights, we decided to go to Lochwinnoch today. M&S had a deal on roast chicken, tatties and apple pie so we felt the best way to appreciate a yummy Sunday roast was to precede it with a bracing walk in some sleety rain.

It rained worse yesterday so as you can see above, the last part of the trail was abruptly shortened by a wee flood...


One of the resident Herons looked quite content with the weather though.


This is me outside one of the hides. You can see that it's standing in water, where usually it's standing on land ... It was a rare 5 seconds when it stopped raining and the sun came out - I didn't have time to take down my hood before it darkened and the rains began once more.


More flooding - I had a great plan to take some 'action' shots of Garter Stitch Mitts IV, but it was so cold that there was no way my hands were coming out of the thick fleeced-lined (and shop bought!) mittens. All the shots are curtesy of the boy, as mittens this big render any attempt to use my hands pointless.


So instead, here's a couple of shots; one from the watch point in the RSPB reserve, and one at home. The yarn is from the Teoshandspun in Skye. A handspun, handyed pure silk that it so loverly! I modded the dk garter stitch mitts pattern for this aran-chunky weight yarn, using 4.5mm needles to get a good dense cosy fabric. I'm very pleased with them.

2 comments:

Paula said...

Gorgeous mitts Elaine. I'm amazed the flooding at Lochwinnoch isn't worst as it was cut off at one point last month.

Beverley Scholefield said...

I’m Bev Scholefield and I bought The Handspinner Having Fun when Teo and Tony retired in November 2013.

Rest assured, the shop will continue to sell the most fantastic range of hand spun and hand dyed yarns. There’s quite a bit of work to do at the shop but I’ll be open for the 2014 season from April.

Looking forward to seeing you sometime in the future.
Regards,
Bev