Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Day 5


Day 5. I had a wee couple of days off from blogging ... there's really not that much to say. Knat more, got a bit further!

Realised that when I change from knitting in the round to knitting flat for the armhole/neck bit that the stripes will get wider. I have decided to start flat knitting a wee bit earlier so that the wider stripes start below the boobs, instead right over the middle of them. It may even make them look them bigger - which is always a good thing!

Suppose I better get back to it - I'm enjoying it despite the tone of this post. It's been a long and rainy day - it feels there is no sun in the summer anymore.

I found out from Revenue & Customs that the very exciting news about an EU regulation increasing the import duties threshold when buying from outside the EU from a pathetic £18 to a more respectable £105, is in fact going to make no difference at all to us *biggest sigh ever*

Basically (if you're interested) the custom duty level will raise to £105 before you have to pay duty. The VAT rate however, remains as payable on anything with a value over £18.

Therefore, buying anything over £18 will incur a 17.5% charge on not only the goods value, but also the freight and insurance charges, plus the £8 handling fee from Royal Mail.

I know that I shouldn't be buying yarn from abroad because of the carbon footprint, but really - elann and knitpicks can make me a 100% wool jumper for £17 - you'd be hard-pressed to achieve this in the UK for less than £50 (unless you go with scratchy 100% wool, or a wool-blend)

So I'm a bit grumpy, because I was imagining all the Socks that Rock joy that was going to be heading my way... ah well! There's plenty of good stuff here, I know. The grass is always greener elsewhere!

No comments: