Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Lemon Meringue Pie Cupcakes


No cupcakes last weekend - evil migraine took up my weekend. I just defrosted the rest of my Lamingtons instead - they froze very well. Tasted like I'd just made them once they were defrosted.

So this weekend it was Lemon Meringue Pie Cupcakes from Cupcakes Galore by Gail Wagman [p. 26]

It was a humid day on Sunday. Step 2 involved placing 'lemon cream' in a glass bowl over a pan of bubbling hot water and stirring constantly for 20 minutes until 'smooth and thick' ... 20 minutes later lemon cream still has consistency of milk and I'm roasting and muttering to self "define 'stirring constantly'! is that stir fast or stir slow?" It seemed to thicken slightly if I stirred slowly, so I tried that for a bit.

Then I stirred slower, taking quick 10 seconds breaks for ice lolly as I was sweating by now standing over the hot cooker with the preheated oven below giving it's own heat. Another break to remove socks and then jeans.

With nowhere to tuck my iPod, I tucked it into my pants.

At this point [have been stirring for 30 minutes] the boy walks in, does a double-take and helpfully says "we should have just bought lemon curd" ... grrr!

So it takes 40 minutes of slow stirring to get it as thick as I can be arsed with.





As you can see, the rest went like a dream - I actually managed to get meringues thathad peaks and everything! It tastes divine, and when scooping out the cupcake cores to fill with lemon cream you get a plate of cores, plus the usual too much mix by about 50%, so that makes a fantastic 'mini-treat' whilst waiting for the cupcakes to cool!

The mix made exactly the right amount of cupcakes - too much meringue and lemon cream though - so I'll probably 1/2 the recipe for those when I make these again.

Till next weekend ... happy cupcaking!

1 comment:

Kathleen said...

Okay, I guess my stirring muscles are going to get a lot of exercise- yes, my copy from amazon arrived at the weekend! Your pix are inspirational. x k